How Can Different Types of Pressure Affect the Lives of Students?

A Mental Health awareness poster made by the students in Leadership. Mental Health Awareness week was created to promote positive relationships with the self and others.

What types of pressure do students go through and where is it coming from? Most people would say peer pressure. According to Webster, peer pressure, in general, is “a feeling that one must do the same things as other people of one’s age and social group in order to be liked or respected by them.”

The most common pressure for students comes from friends. For example, you might be pressured into vandalizing property to seem cool. According to Ms. Reynolds, our school counselor, “pressure is typically seen in a negative form.” These could lead to more dangerous and harmful situations. However, pressure could be positive, such as being influenced into joining a school club that you never knew you liked.

But, pressure does not just come from your peers. It could also happen with involvement in on and off-campus activities and family, sometimes leading to misconduct.

Students feel the pressure in their choices at school, extending beyond the clothes they wear or the music they listen to. For instance, a student deciding to participate in educational activities, such as raising their hand in class or joining an extracurricular activity. 

Additionally, pressure can happen within your family without even realizing it. Parents sometimes tend to mold their children’s lives into the lives they wanted. Such as when a young adult’s parents force their child to take over their family business when they want to set different goals and dreams.

Misconduct is one of the biggest problems when it comes to peer pressure. Misconduct is the influence of bad behavior or attitude. When you are influenced by negative behavior, someone could do something they regret. Ms. Reynolds points out that some people get into these situations because the “student might want to appear cool… a student might not have the confidence to say no.”

If you are ever being pressured to do something you do not want to do or something wrong, Mrs. Reynolds suggests, “If you’re feeling really uncomfortable with what’s going on, it’s okay to say ‘I’m going to go home’ or ‘I’m not okay with this.’” 

Oak Middle School has many activities that can help to resist pressure and temptation such as Red Ribbon Week and build healthy relationships with you and others, like Mental Health Awareness Week. Participating in these events can help many students with all types of pressure.