How Students Can Manage Their Time Better: Finding Academic Success In Hybrid Learning

An+example+of+an+organized+binder+with+folders+for+each+class.+

An example of an organized binder with folders for each class.

Bella Perez, Editor-in-Chief

For the first time since they were Early Birds or Later Gators, Oak students are now coming to school part day. While it is great that students are getting on-campus instruction four days a week, hybrid learning has proved to be difficult for some students. 

One challenge of hybrid learning is technology. On Wednesdays when students are online from home, sometimes students experience difficulties getting into and staying in their Google Meet or Zoom. An 8th grade student from Oak declared that it is also hard to go back and forth between Google Classroom and Google Meet.

There is also the challenge of focus. Oak Middle School’s education specialist, Ms. Erika Uy, explained how Wednesdays have been the hardest for students. She tells us, “I think being home on Wednesdays is hard for you all [because] when you are home all day staring at a computer, you have distractions all around you so it’s easy to play a game, have your phone out in front of you, or to be doing something else.”

Teachers are being very flexible with students by giving them more time on assignments. But it is clear that school work and homework are still a great challenge; a problem that started early in this pandemic.

An 8th grade Oak student explained, “In my opinion, the biggest struggle with managing time [now] is procrastination and not studying effectively.” Oxford Learning explains, “Procrastination can have a negative effect on students’ schoolwork, grades, and even their overall health. Students who procrastinate experience higher levels of frustration, guilt, stress, and anxiety in some cases leading to serious issues like low self-esteem and depression.”

Ms. Uy provided some helpful tips on how students can manage their time better and help to make hybrid learning easier.

1. Make sure that you are organized so that you are prepared. For example, you could use a color coded folder for each class.
  2. Use a planner to record all of your due dates.
  3. Take a 5 minute break whenever you are studying or doing homework.
  4. Always prioritize. Do the bigger assignments first.
  5. Make sure that you are always communicating with your teachers and fellow classmates.

Make sure to have all of your work done before you are on your phone with your friends. If you believe that you can manage your time better, you definitely can. If you follow these tips, you can be successful in hybrid.