Oak Middle School’s Among Us Club

An example of how all the players look while playing a game of Among Us.

The Among Us club here at Oak Middle School is run by Mrs. Laura Velasco, one of Oak’s eighth grade P.E. and art teachers. In this club, students enjoy playing the game and having discussions. Although the club has only had two meetings they already have over 140 students who have joined. 

For those who do not know, Among Us is a popular science fiction mystery game. While this game was released on June 15, 2018, it has only become extremely popular as of recent. The creator is InnerSloth, a video game development studio based in Redmond, Washington.

The objective of the game is to figure out which person(s) is the “imposter.” In each game, there are a maximum of ten players with up to three “imposters” and the rest called “crewmates.” Students can personalize the characters to make them unique by changing their colors or giving them cool accessories. 

Mrs. Velasco said that the students were not only from Oak, but some participants were also from McAuliffe. This means that many kids are participating and interacting with one another from across the district- something not possible before our online environment.  

A very important aspect of this club is to try to make a positive place for kids, and to get them interested in playing the game and interacting with others. For example, Mrs. Velasco stated, “I make them discuss. The whole point of it is that they are in a zoom meeting together. [There are] 10 [people] per meeting and they have to unmute their microphone when they try to figure out who the imposter is and they get to talk to each other.”

A member from the club, Nicole Didkrisen, claimed that she has only been playing this game for about a month now. Nicole has also only been in the club for two weeks, but she really likes it. Nicole said: “My favorite part of the game is that it’s somewhat like a murder mystery; your either an investigator, a potential victim, or a murderer.” If she were to rate the game she said that she would give it an eight out of ten. Nicole believes that this club provides a positive and safe environment because they are no trolls, hackers, or inappropriate language. 

During this time it is so important that we socialize with others and keep in touch with friends. The club and game Among Us are both such an amazing way to practice socializing while also practicing social distancing.