Holiday Delights

This+is+a+holiday+poster+created+by+the+leadership+team+to+celebrate+all+the+diverse+holidays+at+Oak.+

This is a holiday poster created by the leadership team to celebrate all the diverse holidays at Oak.

December always has numerous traditions that families celebrate. Oak is a diverse community of students with many cultures and therefore many December traditions. What are some of these unique celebrations to our community?

According to Infoplease, the most common event that is celebrated in the United States is Christmas. Many students at Oak also celebrate this holiday. As stated in an article from the History Channel, Christmas can be a religious and non-religious holiday where friends and families celebrate together. Families and their loved ones come together opening and receiving gifts under the Christmas tree waiting for Santa Claus to come through the chimney to deliver presents.

Many families also put up Christmas decorations and bake cookies. In a survey taken by Oak students, a sixth-grade student states, “My family members always come over for brunch and for dinner. We play games, open gifts, and just have fun together.”

Another tradition that is celebrated is Hanukkah, also spelled, Chanukkah or Chanukah. This is an eight-day Jewish holiday, also known as the Festival of Lights, that is celebrated this year from December 10 to December 18. Hanukkah is celebrated with nightly menorah lighting with prayers and appetizing food. According to Britannica, the most important tradition for this holiday is the lighting of the menorah, a candelabra with eight branches. Those who celebrate this holiday light one candle each night to bring blessings to their families and dearests.

There is also an African-American celebration called Kwanzaa. This cultural celebration is mostly celebrated by African-Americans that takes place from December 26 to January 1 this year. As reported by the University of Pennsylvania, “The symbols of Kwanzaa include crops (mzao) which represent the historical roots of African African-Americans the historical roots of African Americans in agriculture, and also the reward for collective labor.”

Additionally, there is also Chinese New Year. In this highly anticipated event, also known as the Spring Festival, there are ceremonial days to pray to gods for a good harvest and planting season. Chinese New Year does not always fall on the same day. As stated in an article from the Nation Day Calendar, “The Chinese New Year coincides with the lunar calendar. On the lunar calendar, the first day of the month begins during the new moon. Because of this, the Chinese New Year falls on different dates each year… always fall between January 21 and February 21.”

Lastly, there is New Year’s Eve. Many Americans honor New Year’s Eve in New York City’s Times Square on TV or with local fireworks displays. This festival always falls on the last day of the year, December 31 to embark on the New Year. Many people usually have a family gathering waiting to count down until midnight when the new year has begun.

There are many more holidays to list that different cultures celebrate with multitudes of traditions to honor. One thing they have in common are people coming together.