The Key to Hydration

A metal insulated bottle.

On Oak Middle School’s campus, it’s not unusual to see students carrying water bottles between classes or using the water fountains scattered around. There are the tried and true plastic disposable bottles, the plastic reusable bottles, and metal insulated bottles floating around on campus, but what do students bring most often, and what do they prefer? 

It’s important to know what Oak students prefer, but why do they bring a water bottle to school in the first place? There are many drinking fountains at Oak, but a quick glance reveals that they are currently unavailable to students. Instead, there are water bottle filling stations for students to safely hydrate without risking contamination. A survey conducted at Oak Middle School revealed that 56% of students bring a water bottle to school more frequently this year than in previous years. With drinking fountains unavailable, students more than ever bring water bottles to school. 

With more students bringing their own water bottles to school, how do they know which ones to buy? Should they get the trendy and stylish ones, the durable metal ones, or the convenient disposable ones? Oak Middle School eighth-grade student Julia Harding gave her personal insight, explaining that disposable water bottles are “wasting plastic and… bad for the environment.” Harding states that she uses metal insulated bottles because of their usefulness and convenience. 

Harding is not alone in this belief, though, as 94% of students claimed that they prefer to bring metal insulated bottles to school over all others. It isn’t hard to tell why, as metal insulated bottles are good for keeping drinks cold, but also they are very strong  and durable. Almost all students who completed the survey agreed that metal insulated bottles were the best choice. 

There’s an almost unanimous agreement on what water bottle is best at Oak Middle School. The metal insulated bottle succeeded above every other option. The unique qualities it provides seem to have won over the student population on campus.