Our Silence Is Loud

Here is a picture of masks with an x over where the mouth would go, an imitation of the temporary tattoos used at other schools to represent their participation in the Day of Silence.

Every April, people in colleges, universities, high schools, middle schools, elementary schools, and workplaces spend a day not saying anything to observe the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network’s (GLSEN) Day of Silence. A peaceful protest, the Day of Silence was created to oppose the silencing of LGBTQ+ people because of their sexuality or gender. 

The GLSEN Day of Silence was started in 1996 by Maria Pulzetti, a student at The University of Virginia. The next year, the Day of Silence spread to almost 100 Colleges and Universities. While started four years prior, the day became an official GLSEN project in 2000. GLSEN developed its first student leadership team as part of the Day of Silence. 

This year, Oak Middle School’s very own Gay Straight Alliance (GSA) club is participating in the Day of Silence. It’s taking place on Friday, April 23 with several club members participating. 

In contrast to previous years, the GSA club has a small group of students. However, a GSA club member, Kyla Farrell, explained that the Day of Silence was unlike other protests. It is less dependent on the number of participants to gain acknowledgement from students. Farrell recognized the lack of numbers, but there is no lack of spirit for any participant. 

The GSA club has always been a passionate group of students and this activity demonstrates their enthusiasm to bring awareness to a cause they care about. The GLSEN Day of Silence is an opportunity for students to discover how they can help their fellow classmates and support the Day’s message.